Job Title: Executive Director, CYAN
Canmore Young Adult Network
(Ralph Connor Memorial United Church)
Closing Date: November 24, 2019, 11:59pm, Mountain Time
The Canmore Young Adult Network (CYAN) is a voluntary organization of young adults, for young adults, operated by young adults. CYAN hosts local events, is active on Facebook, Instagram and has a website. CYAN was formed as an unincorporated voluntary, not-for-profit organization in August 2017. Over 100 events have been organized and hosted over the past two years which align with CYAN’s Vision and Mission.
VISION: We envision an inclusive Canmore where young adults thrive and play an active role in our community.
MISSION: Strengthen Canmore by connecting young adults with each other, local resources, and empowering their voices within the community.
Up until now and for the foreseeable future, Ralph Connor Memorial United Church (RCMUC) is CYAN’s fiscal trustee. CYAN staff are hired by RCMUC as contractors.
Your work will be serious, fun and highly rewarding.
You will be CYAN’s first Executive Director. You will have a passion for working with and through CYAN’s members and others to create the conditions within which young adults thrive. You will have the capacity to “lead from beside” as you work with CYAN’s Board, members and supporters to develop the CYAN community and lift CYAN to a new level of governance, management and operations. You will report to the Board through the Chair of the Board. You will have an already existing mentorship board (known as the Friends of CYAN [FoCYAN]) to support you in your CYAN endeavors.
We are offering a one-year contract with the possibility of a continuing role. We believe in a healthy work / life balance and are committed to providing a flexible working schedule.
Salary range: $40,000 – $55,000 per year. Hours per week: 25-35.
Compensation will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
As the Executive Director, you will be responsible for the management and administration of CYAN and for support of the CYAN Board. More specifically:
Support CYAN’s Board of Directors
- Plan Board and other meetings with the Chair and Vice-Chair. Manage logistics for these meetings and prepare meeting materials as required.
- Provide regular reports in addition to an annual report to the Board and FoCYAN.
- Participate with the Board in developing an Operational Plan to guide the organization and then oversee the execution of that plan.
- Support the Board in becoming an officially registered association.
- Provide CYAN members and staff with training opportunities for appropriate skill development.
Manage CYAN’s Staff
- Manage and support CYAN staff (Communications and Events Coordinator) to ensure their work aligns with the Board’s mission and vision.
- Provide CYAN staff with opportunities for appropriate training.
Manage CYAN’s Community Development and Engagement
- Ensure all CYAN activities foster a sense of community among its members and within Canmore.
- Network with community organizations to assess the community needs of young adults and work together to address those needs.
- Prepare a public, research driven, annual report (i.e. annual community survey).
Manage CYAN’s Communication and Marketing
- Create a successful marketing strategy for CYAN and implement together with staff.
- Ensure regular communication with and among members, and with the FoCYAN.
- When requested by the Chair of the Board, speak on behalf of the organization.
Manage CYAN’s Finances
- Work with the Board of Directors and Finance Action Team to prepare a comprehensive yearly budget.
- Work with CYAN’s Treasure and RCMUC’s Treasurer to maintain, monitor and report to the Board and FoCYAN on organizational finances.
- Ensure that appropriate grants are identified, applied for, expended appropriately and reported on to the donor, the CYAN Board and FoCYAN.
- Explore options for sustainable and diversified funding models.
Education and Experience
- University degree or equivalent, required.
- Minimum 2 years of management and leadership experience, required.
- Experience as a volunteer in a non-profit setting, required.
- Fundraising experience, preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Enthusiastic, progressive, curious, environmentally conscious with sound judgment.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of not-for-profit governance, management and operations.
- Self-motivated and skilled at time management.
- Skilled in oral and written communication in English for various media, e.g., social media, websites, reports.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships, both internal and external to the organization.
- Knowledge of organizational finances.
- Proficiency with computer, word processing, spread-sheets, social media.
- Starting date: by mutual agreement, as early in the new year as possible.
- In general, your working hours will be flexible. Please note the following limitations:
- CYAN Board meetings and some CYAN activities take place monthly in the evenings.
- Meetings with community organizations usually take place during day-time hours.
- Your main office will be in your own premises. Occasional access to the office at RCMUC can be arranged. Access to the printer and photocopier at RCMUC is available.
- A criminal record check, valid driver’s license, access to a vehicle are conditions of employment.
If you believe you have the right qualifications and have a passion for making a difference in your community, please submit your resume and cover letter in a PDF format to: email@example.com
If you have any questions regarding the position, please address them to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We will respond to all questions and acknowledge all applications.
The application process closes on November 24, at 11:59pm, Mountain Time.